Louisbourg Lighthouse


August 19th, 2014

Louisbourg Lighthouse Point

During the 1745 and 1758 sieges the attackers built artillery batteries on Lighthouse point to silence the Island Battery.  This would have allowed warships to enter the harbour for a combined land and sea assault on the town.  The besiegers landed cannon for the batteries at Gunlanding Cove, a kilometre to the left.  The French abandoned a defensive battery built here in 1757 several days after the British landing at Kennigton Cove on 8th of June 1758.


Louisbourg Harbour

Louisbourg’s destiny has been largely shaped by its harbour.  Well-protect, relatively deep and close to the fishing banks, it was the harbour that attracted the French to settle here in the 1700’s.  In the 19th century ice-free Louisbourg became the winter export port for Cape Breton coal.  Today, there are several fish plants in the town, and the harbour is home to both an offshore and an inshore fishery.


Lighthouses


An important part of the story of Louisbourg harbour, and of the successful navigation of this coast, is its lighthouses.  Beside the current light, on the top of the hill, are the ruins of two previous lighthouses. One of these was Canada’s first, built by the French and lit in 1734.


Comments