ST. GEORGE’S - IN - THE - PINES ANGLICAN CHURCH

ST. GEORGE’S - IN - THE - PINES ANGLICAN CHURCH
406 BUFFALO STREET - 1889-1926

This is the oldest active church in Banff.  Anglican services were first held here as early as 1885.  Lord and Lady Stanley, then Governor-General of Canada, laid the cornerstone in 1889.  The church, designed in the Gothic Revival style by architect F.P. Oakley of Manchester, England, was made of locally quarried limestone.  It was built on a “pay as we go” basis in several stages with the chancel completed in 1897.  In 1901, two bays of the nave were added, followed by a third in 1909 and a fourth in 1918.  The tower and spire were completed in 1926, with the latter donated in memory of Mrs. John Brewster.  Dr. R. G. Brett donated the eleven bells in 1926, the largest weighing half a ton.  Artist Jessie Van Brunt designed one of the stained glass windows.


This local landmark has had many distinguished guest. In 1897, the Duke and Duchess of York attended services here.  In 1901, the future Queen Mary worshipped here, followed by Edward, Prince of Wales in 1926.  In May 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended services with Prime Minister W.L. Mackenzie King.  Their Majesties presented the church with sterling silver altar candlesticks as a memento.  Lord and Lady Alexander of Tunis worshipped here in 1951, followed by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1954.  The first Vicar of the church was Rev. F.G. Christmas.




Comments