For thousands of years, people have lived and worked along the shores of the Bay of Islands and in the Humber River Valley; taking advantage of the abundant resources and access to water for transportation. First the Maritime Archaic people came, followed by the Beothuck people.
In 1797, James Cook, the famous British cartographer and explorer, was the first to survey and record the geography of the Bay of Islands.
By the middle of the 19th century the population of Corner Brook was less than 100.
It was the construction of the pulp and paper mill between 1923 and 1925 that triggered the transformation of Corner Brook from a small but bustling sawmill centre into the largest industrial city in Western Newfoundland.
Glynmill Inn ... Est. 1924
Glynmill Inn & Pond
Origin of the Glynmill Inn
- Designed in 1923 by Halifax architect Andrew Cobb.
- Constructed by the English firm of Armstrong-Whitworth Co.
- Originally built as living quarters for senior staff constructing the paper mill.
- On June 30, 1924, Sir Glyn West, Chairman of Armstrong-Whitworth Company Ltd. officially opened the building as a hotel.
- Partly destroyed by fire on January 29th, 1929 but was quickly rebuilt.
- Possibly the finest building of its type in Western Newsfoundland, and one of the best examples of Tudor-inspired building in the province.
- Original Tudor Style half-timbering is still in place. Interior design was influenced by Craftsman Style and remains relatively intact with few alterations.
- The Glymill Inn was designed as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador on March 31, 2001.
Origin of the Pond
- (1921-22) A wooden dam was constructedto retain water creating the pond from marshland adjacent to Corner Brook stream. This is still used today as an industrial water supply for the mill.
- Underground piping runs from the water intake to the paper mill, supplying all its water except drinking water.
- The island in the middle of the pond is artificial, created for aesthetic value and allowing the swans a safe place to nest.
- Fish ladders have been constructed at the dam to once again allow Atlantic Salmon passage upstream.