In the common burial ground lie many of the first citizens of Halifax, their descendants and mend of the British Army and the Royal Navy who were stationed here. First opened in 1749, the year Halifax was founded, it was used until 1844. During that period, over 12,000 men, women and children were buried here: fewer than 10% of their graves are marked.
The graveyard was granted to St. Paul’s in 1793 and the church has maintained it ever since. Unfortunately, natural elements and vandalism took their toll and by the mid 1980’s the site required extensive work. Public and private funds were sought by the Old Burying Ground Foundation. A complete record was a made was of the site (1984), a landscape plan implemented and tilted stones reset (1990-91).