Built in 1833
The church was constructed in 1833 with seating for just seventy-five people. It is built in the Gothic Revival style of architecture on a piece of land that was donated by George Garland, a fishing merchant from Poole, England who had his Newfoundland headquarters in Trinity. The church has a steep gable roof with a stone wall foundation, pointed arch (double hung) windows, a front facade and an enclosed porch. There have been very few changes to the exterior or interior of the church over the years.
The Most Holy Trinity Church is the oldest wooden church in Newfoundland and Labrador and one of the oldest churches still in use in Canada. Keeping its original charm, the church is still lit by oil lamps mounted on the columns of the church, and electricity was never installed. The only source of heat was an oil stove, which was has since been removed.
The church was restored in 2005 after it was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador. Upon completion of the restoration a special service of rededication was held on July 27th, 2006 with then Bishop Martin Currie and several former parish priests in attendance.