Train stations were built about eight miles apart, a one-day drive by horse and wagon. Townspeople came to the station to buy tickets or to use the telegraph services. Merchants and farmers came to claim or forward freight of every sort. All mail arrived via the station, as did the world news that enlivened the local newspaper.
In 1910, while the Canadian Pacific Railway was building Midnapore Station, Father Albert Lacombe established an orphanage nearby. The venerable missionary priest and nuns of Sisters of Providence visited the station frequently to receive visitors to the orphanage or to pick up supplies.