The Butchart Gardens

Jennie Butchart began to shape this magnificent landscape in 1904. She established, in the style of the grand estates of the period, several distinct gardens to evoke a range of aesthetic experiences. An abandoned limestone quarry was transformed into the dramatic Sunken Garden, a reflection of early 20th-century beautification movement and an exceptional achievement in Canadian gardening history. Through successive generations of the Butchart Family, this site has retained much of its original design, and continues the Victorian tradition of seasonally changing the outstanding floral displays.





Comments