Named after Captain Richard Burton Deane, Fort Calgary's last serving NWMP Superintendent, the Deane House is the only NWMP building remaining in Calgary. Captain Deane built the house in 1906 upon his wife’s refusal to live in barracks. It was originally built on the west side of the site near 6th St. S.E. In 1914, the Deane House was purchased by the Grand Trunk Railway and moved to a new location to serve as the office and Station Master’s house, sparing it from demolition – the fate of all the other Fort buildings. In 1929 it was moved once more, this time across the Elbow River where it exists today along 9th Avenue.