St. Peter's Church ~ Cheticamp, NS

The Cheticamp Church ~ Cabet Trail

Cheticamp is an Acadian parish founded in 1785, entrusted to the Eudist Fathers in 1953 and to the Sons of Mary from 1999 to 2005. Three churches have been successively built: one in 1790, then in 1810, and in 1861, about one mile south east of present one. 
 
The current church was constructed in 1893 at the cost of $41,950 by Father Fiset whose tomb may be visited under the sanctuary. 

Stones for the construction were hauled on the ice by groups of parishioners from Cheticamp Island across the harbour. 

The church is 212 feet long, 74 wide and the steeple rises to 167 feet. In 1957 the church was repainted and decorated, frescos and stained glass windows were added and repainted in 1988. The organ, one of the first, Casavant, was acquired in 1904 and is still in excellent condition. 

Sainte-Pierre Church is situated on high grounds near the harbour and can be seen from all parts of the Parish, from the mountains and from the sea for many miles around. 

This imposing monument, with its architecture, its frescoes and its stained glass windows is one of the most beautiful churches in the Maritime Provinces. It is also a witness to the deep faith and determination of its parishioners of past and present generations.





Comments